Friday, April 20, 2012

The Alhambra

Hola :)

The snow capped Sierra Nevada mountains stand
majestically behind the sturdy  fortress.  
I recently went to Granada to explore the city and visit the Alhambra.  Some of you might know that Washington Irving made a trip to Spain.  He rode horseback from Sevilla to Granada.  During his journey he composed a wonderful book called 'Cuentas de la Alhambra' or 'Tales of the Alhambra' published in 1832.  It is a collection of ancient, mystical, and mysterious stories that all took place in Granada and the Alhambra as well as 'recounts of his journey across Andalucia.'  The Moors, the Arabic Sultans, humble water-boys, etc.  The myths are all believed to be based on true facts. I read it, and I highly recommend it.  Even when I wasn't there, I could feel the cool roll off the brick walls. When I was there I felt surrounded by a hazy atmosphere.  It is tranquil, peaceful.  I realize that the Sultans were going for a 'Heaven on Earth' vibe when building the Alhambra.  If you think it's incredible nowadays, I'd love to go back a few hundred years before Ferdinad and Isabella (Los Reyes Catolicos) conquered the Alhambra. Back to when the fountains were bubbling with ice cold water, heavy incense burning in every dark corner, elegant princesses and princes wrapped in silk dripping with pearls and precious stones, lush gardens full of flowers of every color, relaxing music playing down the halls, etc.  It must have been beyond words. The Alhambra is also said to be haunted.  I don't think I'd like to be there alone after dark.  You really feel like you have been transported to Morocco or somewhere in the Middle East when you visit Granada.  Modern Presidents, Princes, heads of states all make a side stop to the Alhambra when they visit the south of Spain. The markets, the restaurants, the architecture.  It is a beautiful city.  Here are some pictures.  And Visit these websites if you want to learn more about the Alhambra and Washington Irving's 'Cuentas de la Alhambra.'

http://marieryan.hubpages.com/hub/Washington-Irving-in-The-Alhambra

http://www.alhambra-patronato.es/index.php/Gate-of-Arms/332+M5d637b1e38d/0/

-Adios

Markets 

Columbus asking Isabella and Ferdinand to finance  his journey to find the "West Indies Pass"  He found the Americas instead.  

Long Reflecting Pools and trickling fountains.

View of Granada from the Generalife.  Still part of the Alhambra.  Just with a special name.


Palace of the Catholic King Carlos V

The Alcazaba


What an interesting cloud! After this, I fell down the stairs.  Got a bruise.  Mark falling down ancient stairs thousands of years old, the ones which Sultans, soldiers, Napoleon Bonaparte,  and Washington Irving all climbed and descended off my list.

Que no hay en la vida nada como la pena de ser ciego en Granada.
It says, "There is nothing in life like the pain of being blind in Granada"

Puerta de la Justicia.
Apparently, deep underneath these gates, a beautiful Christian princess is held captive by a 200 year old (well add a  1000 years  more) Arabic 
astrologer. 


Granada from Gate of the Arms.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I love your blog and your exchange experience stories. I'd like to inform you about an intersting project... Could I have your contact?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mikelalice,
      I would be more than happy to receive and read some information. You can email me at kmmadigan@wi.rr.com

      Have a great day,
      Kate Madigan

      Delete

Leave me comments! They make me smile.
Dejame comentarios! Me hacen sonreír.