Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Time is Coming

Well, I am sorry that I haven't written an entry in a while.   I have been super busy just chillin with my family and friends.  But I need to do some research on Sevilla.  I would like to know all the history.  I am such a history nut.

Another thing.  I have to learn to see temperatures in Farenheit and Celsius.  I could memorize the thermometer:
http://www.mathsisfun.com/measure/thermometer.html

Do math in my head:    C to F:  Multiply by 9, Divide by 5,  Add 32
                                      F to C:  Subtract 32, Multiply 5, Divide 9 


HAHAHAHA yea right.

So I found this cute little rhyme.  I bet a lot of people know it, but I still find it helpful.

Thirty's hot,
Twenty's nice,
Ten's cold,
Zero's ice. 

C to F
30 = 86
20 = 70
10 = 50
0 = 32

Well that's not really a big deal.

What I am most concerned about is the language barrier.  I forget all my Spanish when I am using it to communicate with someone in the real world.  I think it is my fear of making a mistake.  But I will make LOTS of mistakes.  So I need to get over that. 

Funny fact:
I was watching The movie Knight and Day with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz.  It's an action movie and they have to run all over the world. One of the places in the movie is..................... wait for it................... Sevilla, Spain.  I said it's so beautiful there, wouldn't it be funny if I get placed there?  What!!!!!!? I actually did get placed there???  What a silly ironic thing.


Fun Facts about my host city:   
- Seville enjoys a pleasant Mediterranean climate
- It is one of the warmest cities in Europe
- Average temperature throughout the year of 18ºC (65F)
-  January is the coldest month
- Summers are quite hot in Seville, especially during July and August when temperatures reach 37ºC (98F), and even 40ºC  (100F) on certain days
- December is likely to be the month with more rain
- Seville is the capital city of Andalusia
-  Located in the South of Spain, Seville, or Sevilla in Spanish, is one of the largest Spanish cities with over 700,000 inhabitants (Now 700,001)   :)
- Seville occupies the valley of the Guadalquivir river
- This is the birthplace of Flamenco
- The city is where the most amazing Easter processions take place
- The Legends tell that Seville was founded by Hercules
- Julius Caesar gave Seville the status of colony in 45 BC. The surprising fact is that, nowadays, there is little rest of this flourishing roman period.
- In 1248, Ferdinand III The Saint conquested Seville for Christianity. Muslims were forced to leave whereas Mudejars and Hebrews stayed
- A lot of churches were built to replace the mosques
-  Seville became the headquarters of the Inquisition
- The Reales Alcázares is an amazing royal palace built by the Christian kings of Castile. This is the oldest occupied royal palace in Europe, meaning that the king and queen of Spain still stay here when they visit Seville (Spain is a constitutional Monarchy, like England)
-  It is not only a palace but several palaces together
- Seville’s Plaza de España is undoubtedly one of the city’s top attractions. This huge and beautiful square was built for the Ibero-American exhibition of 1929
- The Roman ruins of Itálica are one of the places you must go to when visiting Seville. 10 kilometres north from Seville, this city was founded by the Romans in the year 206 BC and was the birthplace of the famous Roman Emperor Trajan
- The historic town of Carmona, 30 kilometres (18Miles) from Seville, is perfect for a day trip. Both the Romans and the Moors have left their imprint in this picturesque town.
- I got most of the facts from this site http://www.tourspain.org/sevilla/photos.asp and if you also click here, there a lot of photos to see. 
- Maybeyou willplan a trip here!




I am going to pick up my visa in Chicago.  IT'S READYYYYYY!
I need to get a few more things.
And I need to pack soon.

Oh well.  It will get done.

I will write before I leave. 
                                ADIOSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me comments! They make me smile.
Dejame comentarios! Me hacen sonreír.