Saturday, October 13, 2012

ha sido muxo tiempo

"It has been a long time."

Hola a todos,

How are you my international friends? I have been back since July 1.  So roughly around 3 and 1/2 months.  I think about Spain everyday.  It is hard to let go and after much reflection, I love Spanish culture more than American culture.  Sometimes I understand more here in America, speaking my first language; however, I feel like I belong to something greater while in Spain.  I feel more connected to the people.  Maybe because Spain is so much smaller than the USA.  Maybe because it is my passion to learn and grow in another country.

Even though I am not in Spain currently, the flames of passion within my heart have not been extinguished; I will continue to serve and give back to the global community with my talents and education.

And even though I love Spain so much, that doesn't mean I am not patriotic about my home country.  I still love studying American History.  I want very much to study in college in Washington DC.  I am in love with the fact that so many people from so many different countries, races, cultures, sexual orientations, families, etc., are united under one flag.  I still am moved when I sing the national anthem.  I love knowing that I will be protected.  Nothing, no one person or country will ever be perfect, but I am pretty lucky to live in the United States of America.

My first blog entry EVER has come to my attention lately. I couldn't help but smile when I re-read it a few days ago.  I seem so blissfully unaware of what is in store for me.  I could have never imagined the magnitude of impact this experience has had on me, my family, friends, and community.  I encourage everyone to keep an account of their journeys abroad.   

As the weather here in Wisconsin gets colder and greyer, I am reminded of my first orientation with my friends in Andalucia. I love the nostalgic feeling I get when I look back on my pictures.  Moments I never want to forget.  Strolling the streets in Cordoba.  The cold winter air.  The constant feeling of adventure.  My independence in Europe.

And coincidentally as I was typing this entry, my friend from Sevilla just called me on Skype!  It was such a great surprise:)  I have missed all of them so dearly.  I will continue to talk to them.  And when I return, I will give them all a big kiss.

Even though I had this great experience, my life for now is in the USA.  I can't lose sight of what is real and important.  Reality has set in, but I can always escape back to Spain in my dreams, memories, and pictures.

I have a youtube channel with a few videos of Spanish culture.  Some are from Semana Santa, I have a video from a soccer match, and a video at my friend's house in Sevilla.

Here are a few of my favorite pictures from Spain:

Noelle and me in Cordoba :)
I just talked to her yesterday. 

Our AFS orientation in Cordoba

Me, Macarena, y Carolina from Sevilla

La Giralda in Sevilla.  My city.   

Strolling through the streets of Sevilla. 

Class trip to Granada. 

Ally, me and Julian by the Bridge of Eiffel. Yes the same architect of the that famous tower.  

The city of Granada. So beautiful.  

I miss my Iberic ham.  This stuff is so good.  

Overall I miss exploring different cities.  I miss meeting new people from all over the world on a regular basis.  I miss my family in Malaga, my friends from Spain, and all over the world.

But I am happy to be with my family.  I want to treasure this last year at home before I really leave the nest.  
I will post soon!

Adios,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me comments! They make me smile.
Dejame comentarios! Me hacen sonreír.